Connect with us

Tech

WhatsApp Group Call now supports eight participants in the latest beta update

Published

on

Facebook-owned WhatsApp has taken a call in the right direction on its much-anticipated group call limit. It has increased the number of participants from four to eight.

The instant messaging app was recently reported to be working on increasing the group calling limit to stay relevant in these times of social distancing.

Spotted first by WABetaInfo, a fan website that tracks WhatsApp updates, the latest WhatsApp beta update has revealed the company is set to soon extend the limit of participants in a voice or video group call for its 2 billion users, including over 400 million in India.

“WhatsApp is rolling out the new limit of participants in groups calls, for iOS and Android beta users. The new limit is: 8 participants in group calls,” tweeted WABetaInfo.

WhatsApp has started rolling out a new feature for Android and iOS beta users. WhatsApp looks to take on other popular video conferencing apps like Zoom and Google Duo with this new increased limit as businesses and classrooms deal with lockdowns.

One needs to install the 2.20.50.25 iOS beta update from TestFlight and the 2.20.133 beta from Google Play Store. Other participants also need to be on the same versions otherwise they cannot be added in the group call.

While you’re in a call, WhatsApp also shows a new header, informing that the call is end-to-end encrypted.

Late last month, 70 per cent more people participated in group video calls using Facebook Messenger week-over-week, and the amount of time spent on those group video calls has doubled globally.

Similarly, voice and video call on WhatsApp has more than doubled year-over-year in the places most impacted by the virus. Apple’s FaceTime video calling tool supports 32 people while Facebook Messenger can support up to 50 people in a call.

source

Tech

Govt bans 59 Chinese Apps including TikTok, citing threat to security of country

Published

on

The Government of India on Monday has banned 59 Chinese apps, including TikTok, citing they are engaged in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.

The decision came amid a huge economic backlash against China following the June 15 clashes at Ladakh in which 20 Indian soldiers died in action and more than 70 were injured.

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, invoking it’s power under section 69 A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009 and in view of the emergent nature of threats has decided to block 59 apps since in view of the information available they are engaged in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, the security of state and public order, the government said in a statement.

Over the last few years, India has emerged as a leading innovator when it comes to technological advancements and a primary market in the digital space.

“There have been raging concerns on aspects relating to data security and safeguarding the privacy of 130 crore Indians. It has been noted recently that such concerns also pose a threat to sovereignty and security of our country,” Ministry of Information and Technology said in a statement.

“The Ministry has received many complaints from various sources including several reports about the misuse of some mobile apps available on Android and iOS platforms for stealing and surreptitiously transmitting users’ data in an unauthorized manner to servers which have locations outside India,” it said.

“The compilation of these data, its mining and profiling by elements hostile to national security and defence of India, which ultimately impinges upon the sovereignty and integrity of India, is a matter of very deep and immediate concern which requires emergency measures,” it added.

The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre, Ministry of Home Affairs has also sent an exhaustive recommendation for blocking these malicious apps. This Ministry has also received many representations raising concerns from citizens regarding security of data and risk to privacy relating to operation of certain apps, it said.

The Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-IN) has also received many representations from citizens regarding security of data and breach of privacy impacting upon public order issues. Likewise, there have been similar bipartisan concerns, flagged by various public representatives, both outside and inside the Parliament of India.

There has been a strong chorus in the public space to take strict action against Apps that harm India’s sovereignty as well as the privacy of our citizens.

On the basis of these and upon receiving of recent credible inputs that such Apps pose threat to sovereignty and integrity of India, the Government of India has decided to disallow the usage of certain Apps, used in both mobile and non-mobile Internet-enabled devices.

The Ministry claimed that this move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users. This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.

As per the Ministry of Information and Technology, the following Apps are banned:

1.TikTok

2. Shareit

3. Kwai

4. UC Browser

5. Baidu map

6. Shein

7. Clash of Kings

8. DU battery saver

9. Helo

10. Likee

11. YouCam makeup

12. Mi Community

13. CM Browers

14. Virus Cleaner

15. APUS Browser

16. ROMWE

17. Club Factory

18. Newsdog

19. Beutry Plus

20. WeChat

21. UC News

22. QQ Mail

23. Weibo

24. Xender

25. QQ Music

26. QQ Newsfeed

27. Bigo Live

28. SelfieCity

29. Mail Master

30. Parallel Space

31. Mi Video Call — Xiaomi

32. WeSync

33. ES File Explorer

34. Viva Video — QU Video Inc

35. Meitu

36. Vigo Video

37. New Video Status

38. DU Recorder

39. Vault- Hide

40. Cache Cleaner DU App studio

41. DU Cleaner

42. DU Browser

43. Hago Play With New Friends

44. Cam Scanner

45. Clean Master – Cheetah Mobile

46. Wonder Camera

47. Photo Wonder

48. QQ Player

49. We Meet

50. Sweet Selfie

51. Baidu Translate

52. Vmate

53. QQ International

54. QQ Security Center

55. QQ Launcher

56. U Video

57. V fly Status Video

58. Mobile Legends

59. DU Privacy

source

Continue Reading

Tech

Affordable AirPods 3, MacBook Pro 2020 lined up for May launch: Reports

Published

on

Cupertino tech giant Apple in a much-delayed launch is likely to showcase the new AirPod 3 alongside a new 2020 MacBook Pro in a virtual event in May.

Jon Prosser, a regular and reliable leaker of Apple news, broke the news on Twitter. The two products were likely intended for a March release, the time of year that Apple tends to hold a product launch event. However, because of complications arising from the coronavirus pandemic, this event was only rumoured and was never even officially announced.

Reports in the past have spoken about the AirPods Pro Lite which are tipped to bring features of the second-generation AirPods but at a relatively affordable price. This would also make a lot of sense because wireless Bluetooth AirPods are part of Apple’s fastest-growing unit called Wearables, Home and accessories. AirPods line-up is currently one of the most popular from Apple, as such any addition to the product list should serve Apple well.

It is also rumored that the new AirPods won’t have the Pros’ active noise cancellation feature, which makes sense if Apple wants to keep the price down.

source

Continue Reading

Mobiles & Tabs

Apple iPhone 9 Plus in the works along with iPhone 9, iOS 14 code reveals

Published

on

There have been several reports on a new low-cost iPhone 9/iPhone SE 2 which was expected to launch this month. Turns out Apple is working on another iPhone possibly iPhone 9 Plus which would most likely debut with the iPhone 9.

9to5Mac found several details of an iPhone 9 Plus along with the iPhone 9 on iOS 14 code. Both the iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 Plus will run on the A13 Bionic chipset. The report also reveals the new iPhones will indeed house a Home button which was discontinued after the iPhone 8 series. With a Home button, the iPhone 9 and iPhone 9 Plus will support Touch ID for biometric authentication. Face ID will be one premium feature the new iPhones will lack.

But the iPhone 9 series will be able to use Apple Pay, scan NFC tags in the background and come with the Express Transit feature as well. These features are available on the iPhone XS and above. There’s no mention of the screen size of the iPhone 9 Plus although we know it will be bigger than the iPhone 9.

As for the iPhone 9 or iPhone SE 2, it has been rumoured to feature a 4.7-inch LCD display. Apple could launch it in two storage variants of 64GB and 128GB. The low-cost iPhone is also expected to be priced around $399 (Rs 28,500 approx) which is the same price the iPhone SE launched at.

The iPhone SE 2 was first expected to launch at Apple’s annual March event which was reportedly cancelled due to coronavirus fears. Apple is still rumoured to unveil a new MacBook and iPad Pro this week.

source

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2019 Delhi Wire.