Connect with us

Sports

VIVO may not be title sponsor of IPL this year amid Indo-China dispute

Published

on

VIVO is likely to pull out as the Indian Premier League’s title sponsor for this year and is in talks with the BCCI for an “amicable separation” amid rising Sino-India diplomatic tensions.

The one-year pullout could be treated as a moratorium period and if the relations improve, BCCI may look at inking a fresh three-year deal with the company from 2021 to 2023 on revised terms. The IPL will be held in the UAE from September 19 to November 10 this year.

“Yes, the discussions are on between BCCI office-bearers (president Sourav Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah) with the representatives of the company. There is a possibility that Vivo will not be title sponsors for one year,” a senior BCCI official told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

Chinese sponsorship became a bone of contention after the BCCI declared it would review the deals following the violent clashes between the armies of both the countries in eastern Ladakh.

The clash, which led to the killing of 20 Indian soldiers, triggered public outrage and led to calls of boycotting Chinese companies and products.

While the IPL Governing Council on Sunday retained all the sponsors, including Vivo which annually pays Rs 440 crore (approximately) as part of a five-year deal lasting till 2022, there is a strong possibility that the company might part ways for a year.

The Board official PTI spoke to said that whenever a decision is taken, it will be amicable and the BCCI is not looking at encashing the bank guarantee.

“In different circumstances, if the sponsors don’t keep commitment, BCCI can encash the bank guarantee which it had earlier done in case of errant franchises. But here, both parties are looking at an amicable escape route,” the official said.

There were questions raised on the BCCI’s decision to retain Chinese sponsors even as the union government banned close to 60 Chinese apps and social media platforms.

“These are sensitive times and need a cautious approach. Once you had said that you will review sponsorship and then did nothing about it, would raise a question mark over your intent on dealing with the Chinese companies,” the official said.

The BCCI is already in talks with a couple of Indian companies who are believed to be interested in a short-term sponsorship deal — one year period.

“It will be difficult to make up the full amount (Rs 440 crore) in such a short time with the tournament being held overseas. Also, there won’t be much traction in an empty stadium. But we will come to that once VIVO officially quits,” he said.

source

Sports

India conquer The Gabba by beating Australia in final Test; win four-match series 2-1

Published

on

India on Tuesday became the first team to conquer The Gabba in 33 years as they beat Australia by three wickets in the final Test and won the four-match Border-Gavaskar Trophy series 2-1.

Chasing 328, India achieved the target with three overs remaining on Day 5. Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara and Rishabh Pan shone with the bat for visitors on the weary Brisbane wicket against the star-studded Australian bowling attack.

If Pant ensured India’s completion of the chase by remaining unbeaten on 89, opener Gill’s innings of 91 was the kickstart India needed.

Pujara with his marathon 211-ball knock of 56 runs was the steadying force that held India’s fort from end eventually guided the tourists towards history.

The Ajinkya Rahane-led team were comfortably placed after the second session of final day at 183/3, requiring another 145 runs in 37 overs from the post-Tea period.

Earlier, resuming the session at 83/1, talented opener Shubman Gill continued on his development as he went on to play positively and alongside Pujara, collected runs at a brisk rate.

Gill, who looked reasonably comfortable against the Australian pace attack which resorted to short-pitched stuff, looked all set for what would have been a well-deserved century before he got caught in slips by Steve Smith against Nathan Lyon at his individual score of 91.

Skipper Ajinkya Rahane, who came in next, looked positive right from the word go and shared a quick 35-run stand with Pujara.

Rahane, after contributing with 24 off just 22 balls to India’s total, however got out caught behind against Pat Cummins.

India then sent in Pant, instead of Mayank Agarwal, clearly signalling their intentions of going for the win. Pujara and Pant added 61 runs to steady India’s ship after Australia looked to threaten by dismissing Gill and Rahane in a span of 10 overs.

While Pujara was dismissed soon after Tea, Pant showed why he is backed to the tilt by the team management. He scripted a 37-run partnership with Mayan Agarwal (9) before adding another 53 with Washington Sundar (22).

In the meantime, the 23-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman completed his half-century and anchored the broken ship of India, which was without its main captain and chief sailors, at finishing line after a successful voyage.

Earlier, in the morning session, India lost the wicket of Rohit Sharma (7) but scored 79 runs as Gill and Pujara didn’t allow Australia to make inroads into the Indian batting line-up

West Indies were the last one to beat Australia at what is considered a fortress for the Australian team.

In all, Australia had won 40 out of the 62 games they played at the venue prior to this match, losing just eight.

Four of those losses have come against England while three came against West Indies, the last of which was in 1988. One came against New Zealand.

India have played seven matches, losing five, drawing one and winning the one in the ongoing series.

This is also the first time Australia have not won at The Gabba since 2012.

Back in November 2012, they had drawn against South Africa. Following that draw, they beat England (twice), India, New Zealand, Pakistan (twice) and Sri Lanka.

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading

Sports

Sourav Ganguly ‘stable’ after angioplasty; to remain under observation for 2-3 days

Published

on

Former India captain and the BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly is “stable” now after undergoing an angioplasty in a private hospital in Kolkata on Saturday.

Ganguly, 48, was rushed to the Woodlands hospital in the afternoon after he felt dizziness. He will be kept under observation for the next couple of days before a three-member panel of doctors take a call on his future treatment, reported Sportstar.

He had complained of chest pain following a workout session on Friday evening. The same happened on Saturday before family members took him to the hospital this afternoon when the problem recurred.

“He was not feeling well last night. However, he decided to continue his morning routine on Saturday and suddenly felt dizzy. The preliminary doctors are trying to identify the cause of this sudden blackout… it might be because of a cardiac problem or any other problem,” Indian Express quoted a hospital source as saying.

“He was diagnosed with three blocked coronary arteries after which the stent was inserted to remove the blockage,” the news outlet quoted Dr. Saroj Mondal, one of the three doctors who performed the procedure, quoted as saying.

According to the doctor, the former cricketer suffered a myocardial infarction while working out on the treadmill.

“He had a similar experience on Friday as well. Since he was immediately brought to the hospital that helped us in treating him,” the doctor said.

Earlier in a statement, the MD & CEO of the Woodlands Hospital, Dr. Rupali Basu, had informed that that Ganguly had “family history of IHD ØE Ischemic heart disease.”

“When he came to the hospital at 1pm, his… clinical parameters were within normal limits. His ECG showed hyper acute ST segment elevation in inferior leads and lateral leads. Echo showed mild inferior wall hypokynaesia with preserved overall left ventricular function. He is stable haemodynamically. He has received loading doses of dual anti platelets and statin,” Basu stated.

Alongside several West Bengal government officials and ministers, Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee paid a visit to Ganguly. “He is fine now and even spoke to me. I thank the hospital authority and the doctors here,” Banerjee said.

Ganguly was also tested for COVID-19. His results have reportedly come negative.

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Lionel Messi breaks Pele’s record during Barcelona’s 3-0 win over Valladolid in La Liga

Published

on

Barcelona star Lionel Messi on Tuesday set another world record as he moved past Brazilian legend Pele to become the highest goalscorer for a single club.

Messi scored his 644th goal for the Catalan club during their win against Valladolid in La Liga, overtaking Pele’s record of 643 goals for Santos.

Messi’s achieved the feat after playing 749 games for Barcelona spreading across 17 seasons. Not many had thought that it would be possible to break Pele’s record.

“When I started playing football I never thought I would break any records. And even less the one I achieved today,” Messi posted on Instagram shortly after the game.

“I can only thank all those who helped me over the years, my teammates, my family, my friends and all those who support me every day,” he added.

Pele had earlier congratulated Messi when the latter had equalled his record.

“When your heart overflows with love, it is difficult to change your path. Like you, I know what it’s like to love wearing the same shirt every day. Like you, I know that there is nothing better than the place we feel at home,” Pele had said in an Instagram post.

“Congratulations on your historic record, Lionel. But above all, congratulations on your beautiful career at Barcelona. Stories like ours, of loving the same club for so long, unfortunately, will be increasingly rare in football. I admire you very much,” he had added.

Pele, who played his last game for Santos in 1974, is counted among one of the greatest players ever to grace the game.

There’s another Pele record that Messi has in his sights. The 77 goals that the Brazilian scored for his country are still a South American record. But Messi has 71 for Argentina, and needs just six more to equal that number.

Meanwhile, Barcelona moved to the fifth place in the points table of La Liga after registering their seventh win of the season. Other than Messi, Clement Lenglet and Martin Braithwaite put their names on the scoresheet against Valladolid.

source

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2021 Delhi Wire.