Connect with us

News

‘They will be hanged’, says Delhi gangrape victim’s mother as Supreme Court hears convicts’ curative petition

Published

on

The mother of Delhi gangrape victim said on Tuesday that she is hopeful of the curative petition of the two convicts in the case will be dismissed.

“They (convicts) have filed a petition (curative plea) before the Supreme Court just to stall the process. I’m very hopeful that their petition will be rejected today. They’ll be hanged on 22nd January & Nirbhaya will get justice,” said Asha Devi, according to news agency ANI.

Her remarks come on a day when a five-judge bench of the Supreme Court comprising Justices N V Ramana, Arun Mishra, R F Nariman, R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan will hear curative petitions of two of the four death-row convicts in the Delhi gangrape case.

The curative pleas were filed by Vinay Sharma (26) and Mukesh Singh (32) in the top court last week. Two other convicts on death row convicts in the case, Akshay Kumar Singh (31) and Pawan Gupta (25) have not filed curative petitions.

Curative petitions are decided in-chambers by the judges. It is the last and final legal remedy available to a death row convict.

A Delhi court had issued death warrants against the four convicts and set January 22 as the date for their hanging at Delhi’s Tihar jail. The court also set the time of 7 am to carry ut the sentence.

In his curative petition Vinay Sharma said that the collective conscience of society to send a person to gallows was erroneous.

The four were among six people who gang-raped and brutally assaulted a 23-year-old paramedic student on the intervening night of December 16-17, 2012, in a moving bus in south Delhi before throwing her out on the road. She died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital.

In 2017, the Supreme Court had upheld the death sentence awarded to them by a trial court and endorsed by the Delhi High Court.

Out of the six accused in the case, Ram Singh, allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail while a juvenile was released from a reformation home after serving a three-year term.

On July 9, 2018, the apex court had dismissed the review pleas filed by three of the convicts in the case, saying no grounds had been made out by them for review of the 2017 verdict.

source

News

From UP stopped from entering Haryana to sell paddy crop at government-run mandis

Published

on

A day after the agriculture bills have been signed into law by the President, around fifty farmers from Uttar Pradesh were stopped from entering neighbouring Haryana’s Karnal district on Monday to sell their paddy crop at government-run mandis.

On Saturday, the Karnal Deputy Commissioner, Nishant Yadav had issued orders to prevent farmers from crossing the state border to sell non-basmati varieties of rice.

The act was done to ensure that the same crop grown by local farmers is given preference.

“There is no law which bars farmers from other states from selling their produce in Haryana. However, we have a portal where farmers upload their details so it is easier for us to buy from them. Due to Covid procurement has been staggered. Every registered farmer gets an SMS about their arrival date at the market,” PK Das, Additional Chief Secretary (Food and Civil Supplies), said, reported NDTV.

“We have asked these farmers to register on that portal. Once they do it they will also receive a similar text and then, on their scheduled date, they can come with their produce,” he added.

Yesterday morning, the protesting farmers had set a tractor on fire near India Gate in Delhi in the morning during protests.

The police came in action and removed the tractor and the fire has been put out by the fire department.

The three bills were introduced by the government contending that they will benefit the farmers.

Introducing the Bill, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar had said, “I want to assure everyone that the bills have nothing to do with MSPs. MSPs were there and will continue. I would request everyone to reconsider their views on the farm bills. The two bills are historic and will bring a change in the lives of the farmers. The farmers will be able to freely trade their produce anywhere in the country.”

source

Continue Reading

News

Dalit woman from UP, who was raped two weeks ago, succumbed to injuries in Delhi hospital

Published

on

After two weeks of being gang-raped by a group of upper-caste men, a 19-year-old Dalit woman from Hathras district in Uttar Pradesh succumbed to injuries at a hospital in New Delhi.

The girl was raped on September 14 and was initially admitted to a district hospital with her tongue cut off and spinal cord severely injured, among other serious injuries.

The girl was first admitted to the ICU of a hospital in west UP’s Aligarh and later shifted to Delhi’s Safdarjung hospital.

The four accused belonging to the upper caste community were charged with gangrape and attempt to murder, apart from charges under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

The accused were arrested based on a statement provided by the victim on September 23.

She gave her statement after she briefly regained consciousness.

She had accused three men – Sandeep, his uncle Ravi (35) and their friend Luv Kush, of committing the crime.

As reported by the Indian Express, the family alleged the main accused, Sandeep, and his family had “always harassed Dalits in their area”.

As per the reports, nearly two decades ago, Sandeep’s grandfather had been booked under the SC/ST Act and served three months in prison for allegedly thrashing the victim’s grandfather over a petty issue.

In a couple of tweets in Hindi, Priyanka Gandhi said, “The rape victim of UP’s Hathras has succumbed to injuries in Delhi’s Safdarjung hospital. For two weeks, she was struggling for her survival. The series of rape incidents in Hathras, Shahjahanpur and Gorakhpur have shaken the state.”

“The law and order situation in UP has been disturbed to an extent. There is no arrangement for the women safety. Criminals are committing crime without any fear. The perpetrators should be severely punished,” she said.

source

Continue Reading

News

‘Second wave of coronavirus at its peak in Delhi,’ says Arvind Kejriwal, cites experts

Published

on

Delhi was witnessing the second wave of coronavirus and has now turned the corner, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Thursday.

The sudden spike in case, crossing 4,000 which took place earlier this month was the second wave of the disease, he said.

CM’s remarks came while speaking at a programme in PUSA (Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University).

“On September 16, Delhi recorded approximately 4,500 cases. After that, the cases started to decline and in the last 24 hours, 3,700 cases have come up in the national capital. In the coming days, the numbers will decline further,” he said.

“From July 1 to August 17, cases were in control. So experts are believing that the second wave of coronavirus which had hit Delhi is now on peak and its intensity will be less in the coming days,” he contended.

With a fresh spike of 86,508 coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, India has crossed the 57 lakh mark, according to Ministry of Health on Thursday.

India, which continues to remain the second-worst affected country’s total Covid-19 caseload now stands at 57,32,518 out of which 9,66,382 are active coronavirus cases which account for 16.85 per cent of all cases.

With 87,374 patients that have recovered from Covid-19 in the last 24 hours, the recoveries continue to remain more than the number of new coronavirus infections for the fifth consecutive day, according to data by Ministry of Health.

Delhi’s total coronavirus case load after daily spike of 3,714 cases now stands at 2,56,789 Covid-19 cases.

source

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2019 Delhi Wire.