Connect with us

News

Mobile phones of people under quarantine to be tracked, says Kejriwal, announces relief for private employees

Published

on

In a major surveillance measure, the Delhi Police has been ordered to track mobile phones of people in home-quarantine to find out if they stepped out or came in contact with others, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Wednesday.

The chief minister said that over 25,000 contacts have been shared with the police so far.

Addressing a daily press briefing, Kejriwal said the government has handed over to the police today a list of 14,345 phone numbers of people who have been asked to remain in home quarantine. On Tuesday, as many as 11,084 phone numbers were shared with the police.

“The police will track if they are following the instructions on home quarantine or not,” the chief minister said.

Further, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has requested the poor people in the national capital to apply for the ration card on Delhi government’s e-district website.

About 10 lakh poor people do not have ration cards in Delhi.

The CM said that these people will not get the card now but will be given ration till the COVID-19 crisis persists.

In a major relief for private employees amid concerns during the lockdown, the chief minister said that passes will be given to two employees/owner of every private company so that they can go to their respective offices to calculate and transfer the employees’ salaries.

“Today is first day of the month. Salaries of many employees are stuck because of the closed offices. We have decided to issue pass for 2 people from each organisation who will release everyone’s salary,” the chief minister said.

Kejriwal further informed that Delhi has reported 120 positive cases of Coronavirus till Wednesday morning. A total of 766 people are in hospitals due to the virus of which 112 are positive. The rest are possible infected cases which are being tested, the chief minister said.

He added that 29 out of the total 120 COVID-19 patients in Delhi contracted disease from people already infected with the virus.

On the Nizamuddin event, Kejriwal said that as many as 536 people, out of all those who were brought out of the Markaz facility, have been admitted to hospitals. 1,810 people have been put in isolation/quarantine. With this, the total number of people evacuated from the Islamic centre stands at 2,346.

In India, the number of novel Coronavirus cases continue to climb. According to the Union health ministry, there are 1,637 Coronavirus patients in the country which include 1,466 active cases and 38 deaths, as on the morning of April 1.

source

News

6 states show Covid surge; India’s total cases touch 1.11 crore

Published

on

Maharashtra, Kerala, Punjab, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Gujarat have shown a surge in new Covid-19 cases contributing to 87.25 per cent of 15,510 fresh infections reported in a day, pushing India’s tally to 1,11,12,241 on Monday, while 106 fatalities mounted the death toll to 1,57,157 the Union Health Ministry said.

India’s total number of active Covid-19 cases was recorded at1,68,627, comprising 1.52 per cent of the total infections, the ministry said highlighting five states that account for 84 per cent of the total active cases in the country.

Maharashtra alone accounts for 46.39 per cent of India’s total active cases, followed by Kerala with 29.49 per cent.

The positivity rate too has been rising gradually, pushing it to 1.52 per cent. As per the Ministry’s data, there are 1,68,627 active cases at present after 11,288 patients were discharged in a day.

The experts have expressed a number of possibilities which could be due to lax attitude of people towards following Covid protocols to “mutations and new strains” causing the surge, sources in the health ministry said.

This trend is alarming as in mid February the average daily new infections oscillated between 9,000 to 12,000 while the deaths were between 78 to 120.

Delhi adds 175 cases, 1 death:Delhi today recorded 175 new coronavirus infections and one fatality, even as the positivity rate rose to 0.44 per cent, according to the Delhi government’s latest health bulletin. The city’s Covid toll climbed to 10,911, the health bulletin said.

The new cases took its coronavirus infection tally to 6,39,464. These cases came out of 39,733 tests conducted the previous day.

The active Covid cases in the national capital rose to 1,404 from 1,335 the previous day, according to the bulletin.

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading

News

SUV with 20 gelatin sticks found dumped near Mukesh Ambani’s house

Published

on

In a shocking development, an SUV filled with at least 20 gelatin sticks was found abandoned outside Antilia, the lavish multi-storied home of billionaire industrialist Mukesh Ambani, here on Thursday evening, officials said.

“A Scorpio vehicle with 20 gelatin sticks was found near Mukesh Ambani’s Mumbai residence. The Crime Branch of the Mumbai Police is investigating the entire matter and the truth will emerge soon,” Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said late on Thursday evening.

Late in the night, Mumbai Police spokesperson DCP S. Chaitanya said that a letter has been found inside the vehicle, but declined to reveal its content.

“The registration number displayed on the said vehicle (SUV) matches with the registration number of a vehicle in Mukesh Ambani’s security detail. The SUV has been seized by the police for investigation,” Chaitanya said.

The SUV was noticed at around 3 p.m. after which some people from the vicinity alerted the local police, who rushed to the spot and cordoned off the entire area, sending the state government and the police into a tizzy.

Top police officers, including Joint Commissioner of Police Vishwas Nangre-Patil, a team of explosives experts, sniffer dog squad, bomb detection and disposal squad and others rushed to the spot and inspected the SUV in which the gelatin sticks were kept.

Minister of State for Home, Shambhuraj Desai, told mediapersons that he has instructed the top police officers to probe the matter thoroughly and ensure that the culprits are brought to book.

Desai added that if required, the government would consider other measures, including enhancing the security at the Antilia building and also around the Ambani family, even as the entire locality was brought under a high alert.

CCTV footages of the area revealed that the SUV with a couple of unidentified persons in it was driven and parked beside a tree on the Carmichael Road at around 1 a.m.

The suspicious persons seemed to have fled after deserting the SUV there, but strangely, it was noticed only after another 12 hours.

Chaitanya said that the gelatin sticks recovered in the SUV were “not an assembled explosive device” but details of the risks they posed would be known only after a thorough probe.

Efforts are on to trace the persons who parked the vehicle there, from where they came, what were their diabolic motives, who or what were the exact targets etc., officials said.

Antilia and the south Mumbai neighbourhood house the who’s who of the Indian corporate world, top politicians, official or private residences of various bigwigs, government officials, diplomats, people from the glamour industry and others.

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading

News

U’khand: 136 missing ‘presumed dead’

Published

on

The Indo-Tibetan Border Police, SDRF and other sister organisations on Tuesday launched an operation at the artificial lake, which was formed after the recent flash flood-triggered landslide blocked flow of the Rishiganga river, in Chamoli. To increase the volume of water at the Rishiganga near Muranda, the team removed tree trunks that were blocking the flow.

The artificial lake continues to be a hot topic of debate among scientists and administrators and an object of fear among locals. A team of ITBP, SDRF and other agencies are presently camping at the lake site. The administration is on alert after the Indian Meteorological Department forecast for light rainfall on 24, 25 and 26 February and moderate rainfall at Tapovan area on 27 February.

Meanwhile, the Uttarakhand government has issued a notification authorising officials to declare “presumed dead” 136 people still missing after the flash flood in Chamoli district over two weeks ago. Sixty-eight bodies have so far been recovered after the February 7 disaster possibly triggered by an avalanche.

~With inputs from PTI~

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2021 Delhi Wire.