Connect with us

News

Migrant workers gather at Mumbai’s Bandra station, demand permission to go hometown; lathicharged by cops

Published

on

Soon after the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement on Tuesday to extend the lockdown, hoards of migrant workers in the afternoon gathered outside Mumbai’s Bandra station in protest against the decision.

The video footage showed thousands of people gathered at the Bandra station thrashing the social distancing appeal which was again made by the Prime Minister in his today’s address to the nation.

As per the reports, hundreds of migrant workers gathered in Bandra, Mumbai demanding permission to return to their native places.

They were later dispersed by the police who resorted to lathi-charge. The site was later sanitized by the authorities after the crowd dispersed.

However, contrary to this, Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said they gathered near the station because they thought PM Modi had ordered opening of state borders.

“Migrant workers who gathered near Bandra station in Mumbai may have thought PM Modi had ordered opening of state borders,” Anil Deshmukh was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.

It was reported that Home Minster Amit Shah called Uddhav Thackeray and expressed concern over the incident. He stressed that such events weaken India’s fight against coronavirus and administration needs to stay vigilant to avoid such incidents.

He also offered full support to Maharashtra government.

Later, Mumbai Police PRO, Pranaya Ashok, said, “Today at 4 pm, around 1500 people gathered at Bandra railway station premises. Many of them were migrant labourers. They were unhappy with the extension of the lockdown and wanted to go back to their homes. They had placed their demand before administration.”

Narrating the event, he said, “Local Police officials went to the spot, talked to them and tried to convince them. During this, a section of the crowd turned violent so light force had to be used to bring them under control.”

He further told that the crowd was dispersed and Police is deployed there. Situation is normal and peaceful.

Earlier in the day, in his address to the nation at 10 am, PM Modi extended the lockdown further till May 3. The move was not a shocker as it was anticipated that the lockdown will be extended till April 30. However, the government sources said it was due to May 1 being a public holiday and May 2 and May 3 being a weekend that PM decided to stretch it a bit further.

PM Modi in his address said that detailed guidelines related to the second phase of the lockdown will be released tomorrow.

The plight of migrant workers had come up in the first phase of 21-day lockdown itself, which was announced on March 24. Many workers in the hope of returning to their homes reached Delhi’s Anand Vihar Bus Station. The visuals showed a clear breach of social distancing, appealed by the PM to fight the coronavirus.

Many migrant workers were even seen walking 100s of km back to their hometowns due to the absence of public transport.

A petition was filed in the Supreme Court narrating the plight of migrant workers and appealing remedy for them. The court asked the government to ensure availability of proper food and essentials to them.

However, the Centre had asked the State government to seal their borders to restrict the entrance of migrant workers and those migrant workers who were stranded at the state borders were sent in makeshift quarantine centres.

India has witnessed over 9,000 cases of deadly coronavirus with 353 deaths due to the deadly virus.

source

News

Who owns the Qutub Minar complex? The court will pronounce its verdict on December 12.

Published

on

Image Credits: pixahive.com

The matter of demanding the right of worship in the Qutub Minar complex is once again in discussion. In fact, the Saket court has reserved its decision on the reconsideration petition filed in the matter. Delhi’s Saket court will pronounce its verdict on December 12.

This reconsideration petition was filed by petitioner Kunwar Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad in Saket Court. In fact, the Saket court had rejected the petitioner Kunwar Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad’s petition in the matter of ownership of Qutub Minar. Kunwar Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad Singh had filed a petition claiming ownership over Qutub Minar.

By filing the first petition, Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad Singh had demanded to make himself a party in this matter. It was said in his petition that the government had taken over the entire property in 1947 without our permission. This petition was rejected by the court.

The last time in September, when the ASI’s lawyer opposed the petition of Kunwar Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad Singh, saying that Sultan Begum had claimed the ownership rights over the Red Fort, we had opposed that petition in the Delhi High Court. Even then the court had accepted that there is no basis for the demand made in the petition. ASI had requested to dismiss the petition of Kunwar Mahendra Dhawaj Prasad Singh.

Source: Aajtak

Continue Reading

News

Dry day, holiday in schools, metro timings also changed… know the changes before the MCD elections in Delhi

Published

on

The noise of campaigning for the Municipal Corporation elections in Delhi has come to an end. On Sunday i.e. December 4, votes will be cast to elect councilors in 250 wards. Before this, the Delhi government made three major changes so that the election arrangements can be implemented smoothly. In view of the elections, the Excise Department has declared a dry day for three days in Delhi. That is, there will be a ban on the sale of liquor in Delhi from Friday to Sunday. Liquor shops will remain closed on all three days. Apart from this, a holiday has been declared for all government schools on Saturday by the Delhi government. Due to the next day being Sunday, there will be a holiday in the schools. The third decision has been taken by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. Metro services will be available every half an hour from 4 am on Sunday, the day of voting. This process will continue till 6 in the morning.

On behalf of the Education Department of the Delhi government, it was told that due to the preparations for the voting to be held on Sunday, a holiday has been declared for all government schools on Saturday. In return, schools will remain open on 10 December i.e. on the second Saturday of the month.

Liquor shops will remain closed for three days in the capital

Similarly, Delhi will have a dry day for three days from Friday. Delhi Excise Commissioner Krishna Mohan Uppu told that under Rule 52 of Excise Rules 2010, December 2 to 4 and December 7 will be dry days. Dry days are those days when the government bans the sale of liquor in shops, clubs, bars. According to the notification, there will be a dry day in Delhi from 5.30 pm on Friday, 2 December to 5.30 pm on 4 December. Not only this, there will be a dry day on 7th December i.e. the whole day of the results. That means there will be a ban on the sale of liquor.

Metro service will start at 4 am on Sunday

At the same time, Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) has made changes in metro operations on the day of polling. Metro services will be started at 4 am on December 4 (Sunday), the day of voting in MCD elections. Metro will be available on all lines at an interval of every half an hour from 4 am to 6 am. After 6 am, the normal frequency will continue like normal days. Delhi Metro is currently providing services on a total of 10 lines, including Red Line, Yellow, Blue, Green, Violet, Pink, Magenta, Gray, and Airport Express Line.

Source: Aajtak

Continue Reading

News

Man kills live-in partner with cleaver in West Delhi

Published

on

Photo by Hassan Rafhaan on Unsplash | (Representational Image)

According to police, a 45-year-old man was arrested on Thursday for allegedly murdering his 35-year-old live-in partner at her rented house in Ganesh Nagar, West Delhi. According to police, the woman’s 16-year-old daughter was asleep in another room at the time of the incident.

According to the police, the victim, Rekha Rani, had lived in Ganesh Nagar with her daughter for more than 15 years, and the partner, Manpreet Singh, had stayed with them for the past 7-8 years.

According to police, Manpreet gave Rekha’s migraine patient daughter some pills and told her to go to sleep on December 1 at around 6 a.m.

“He informed her that her mother had gone to the market when she became suspicious and inquired about her mother. She called her cousin and went to his Paschim Vihar home. They then called the police when they discovered that their house in Ganesh Nagar was locked. Ravindra Singh Yadav, Special CP (Crime Branch), stated, “The victim’s daughter stated in her statement that she suspected that Manpreet had harmed her mother and that Manpreet and her mother had been fighting over money for some time.”

According to the police, the suspect allegedly stabbed Rekha in the neck and face while she resisted and mutilated a finger on her right hand.

Manpreet moved in with Rekha after meeting her in 2015. He claimed that Rekha stopped letting him visit and talk to his family because, over time, she started to feel insecure. A police officer stated, “He purchased a chopper (cleaver knife) recently to murder her and planned to kill her.”

According to the police, the accused is allegedly involved in six cases in Delhi, including kidnapping for a ransom, an attempt to kill, the arms act, and forgery.

According to the police, the suspect drove to his home village of Nabha in Punjab after killing the woman. Police said the car was found through toll barriers and he was caught using technical investigation.

Source: IndianExpress

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2022 Delhi Wire.