Connect with us

Tech

EU guidelines steps up action want to demonetise disinformation

Published

on

The European Commission has unveiled new stricter guidelines which plan to boost its Code of Practice on Disinformation with the aim of preventing digital ad companies from profiting from “fake news” or disinformation.

The Commission’s guidance unveiled on Wednesday urges online advertising platforms and actors to block accounts that share disinformation and ban those that regularly post debunked content, reports news agency.

From election fraud in the United States to disinformation and its impact during the COVID-19 pandemic concerns have intensified with some critics pointing to the role of social media and tech giants in spreading it.

The Commission also wants social media sites to improve the transparency of political ads, including by properly labelling paid-for content and allowing users to see who is providing those ads.

“Disinformation cannot remain a source of revenue. We need to see stronger commitments by online platforms, the entire advertising ecosystem and networks of fact-checkers,” EU industry chief Thierry Breton said in a statement.

Based on a robust monitoring framework and clear performance
indicators, signatories to this code should reduce financial incentives to disinformation, empower users to take an active role in preventing its spread, better cooperate with fact-checkers across the EU member states and languages, and provide a framework for access to data for researchers.

The guidance says that platforms and actors in the online advertising ecosystem must take responsibility and better work together to “demonetise disinformation”.

“A new stronger code is necessary as we need online platforms and other players to address the systemic risks of their services and algorithmic amplification, stop policing themselves alone and stop allowing to make money on disinformation, while fully preserving the freedom of speech,” Commission Vice President Vera Jourova said in a statement on Wednesday.

The document wants online platforms to provide their users with accessible, effective tools and procedures to flag disinformation with the potential to cause public or individual harm.

Users whose content or accounts have been subject to measures taken in response to such flagging should also have access to an appropriate and transparent mechanism to appeal and seek redress.

Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, TikTok and Mozilla are among the web and social media platforms that have so far signed on to the non-binding Code of Practice, which the Commission launched in 2018.

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mobiles & Tabs

Moto G Stylus 5G with Snapdragon 480 SoC goes official: Price, specifications and more

Published

on

The 4G version of the smartphone was launched in 2020 but the 5G variant is different not only in terms of design but also comes with new features.

After a series of leaks and rumours, Motorola has finally unveiled the Moto G Stylus 5G. The Lenovo-owned company has launched the smartphone in the United States. The Moto G Stylus is the cheapest smartphone to arrive with a Stylus. The 4G version of the smartphone was launched in 2020 but the 5G variant is different not only in terms of design but also comes with new features. Motorola is yet to reveal its plan of launching smartphones in other markets including India.

Considering India is a market where there are more budget/ mid-range phone seekers than the premium ones, Moto G Stylus 5G might attract a lot of takers. One of the prime reasons could be the price and the Stylus that is included with the phone at that price point. Motorola has so far stuck to launching mid-range and budget phones in the Indian market. The only premium devices that were launched in the last two-three years include the Moto Razr, Moto Edge. So let us have a look at what the Moto G Stylus 5G offers.

Moto G Stylus 5G: Price and availability

Moto G Stylus 5G has been launched in the United States at a price of $399 (approximately Rs 29,121). The smartphone will go on sale in the US starting June 14. The G Stylus will only be available in the Cosmic Emerald colour. It can be bought from the company’s official website, Best Buy, Walmart, B&H Photo and Amazon.

Motorola is yet to announce whether it plans to launch the smartphone in India. It would be nice if Motorola did, but the company didn’t launch the other two versions of the phone, so this launch also seems unlikely.

Moto G Stylus 5G: Specifications

Moto G Stylus 5G features a 6.8-inch LCD full HD+ display with a resolution of 2,400×1,080 pixels. The smartphone is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 480 5G SoC coupled with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage. The Moto G Stylus 5G runs on Android 11 with Motorola’s My UX skin on top.

In terms of camera, the smartphone has a quad-rear camera setup which includes a 48-megapixel primary sensor along with an 8-megapixel ultra wide-angle lens, a 5-megapixel macro lens and a 2-megapixel depth sensor. On the front, there is a 16-megapixel for selfies.

The smartphone houses a 5000mAh battery with support for 10W charging.

Source : IndiaToday

Continue Reading

Tech

Govt asks OTT, digital media players to give details on compliance with new rules in 15 days

Published

on

The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has written to the OTT and digital media platforms to furnish all their details and compliance status as per the new IT rules within 15 days.

In its notice to the platforms, the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting said that a total of around 60 publishers and their associations have informed the ministry that they have already initiated the process of formation of self-regulatory bodies under the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Codes) Rules, 2021

The Code of Ethics will be applicable to online news and digital media entities, OTT platforms and digital media.

“There is no requirement for prior registration of digital media publishers with the ministry,” it said, adding that one of the new rules provides for furnishing certain information by the publishers of news and current affairs content, and publishers of online curated content, to the ministry.

Apart from the details on the websites, mobile apps and social media accounts, the ministry has also sought information on the grievance redressal mechanism.

“The publishers may furnish the information to the ministry in the applicable format within 15 days of the issuance of this notice,” it said.

The Centre came up with the new rules in February this year, creating a new framework for governing intermediary liability and digital media regulation.

As per the norms, digital news publishers will now have to notify the government of their operations, set up self-regulatory bodies and apply a complaint redressal mechanism, besides following the codes which were only applicable to print and television news thus far.

Continue Reading

Tech

YouTube TV reaches 10 mn Play Store downloads

Published

on

YouTube TV streaming service that includes a number of the biggest channels and premium streaming services in one convenient package, has now hit 10 million Google Play Store downloads.

The base package stands at a whopping 104 networks, which streamlines the quest for one point of access for all of your favorite shows, movies, and sports, 9To5Google reported.

Cloud DVR features, support for up to six accounts and the ability to stream up to three concurrent live streams are other major reasons that YouTube TV has surged in popularity in recent years, the report said.

As of October 2020, YouTube TV had around 3 million paid subscribers.

Recently, after streaming media player Roku removed the YouTube TV app for new users, Google countered by bringing the cord-cutting service to the main YouTube client.

Google has placed a “Go to YouTube TV” shortcut at the bottom of the main YouTube menu on Roku devices. This will load the YouTube TV experience that is no longer available as a standalone application.

This strategy came as the Play Movies & TV client is shutting down in favour of one YouTube app for everything, the earlier report said.

source: The Statesman

Continue Reading

Newsletters

Enter your email address to get latest updates

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 - 2021 Delhi Wire.