Sushant Singh Rajput’s father Krishna Kishore Singh had challenged a single judge’s order refusing to stay on the film or to restrain anyone from using his son’s name or likeness in movies. The Delhi High Court on Friday declined to stay the release of movie ‘Nyay: The Justice’, purportedly based on late Bollywood actor’s life.
The Delhi High Court on Friday declined to stay the release of movie ‘Nyay: The Justice’, purportedly based on late Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s, in cinema halls and on OTT platforms, saying there is no “unholy interest” in the story of the man’s life which was “exceptional”. A vacation bench of Justices Anup Jairam Bhambhani and Jasmeet Singh said there is nothing to show that there would be “any detrimental effect” on Rajput’s reputation by production of movies about his life based on “what is available in public domain”.
Rajput’s father Krishna Kishore Singh had challenged a single judge’s order refusing to stay on the film or to restrain anyone from using his son’s name or likeness in movies.
The high court said there was no written script or story which has been used by the film maker and refused to pass any interim order on the appeal by Sushant’s father. “There is nothing that they (makers) have or they could have had used except what is available in the public domain. There is no unholy interest in the life story because the man’s life was an exceptional life which is a plausible theme for a movie and they have made a movie,” the court said.
The high court issued notice and sought response from the movie’s director Dilip Gulati and producers Sarla Saraogi and Rahul Sharma and others while posting the matter for hearing on July 14.
The bench noted the submission of senior advocate Chander Lal that the film has been released on website and a mobile app on June 11 as scheduled.
Senior advocate Harish Salve, representing Rajput’s father, argued that the producer and the director of the film have commercially exploited life story of the the actor who allegedly committed suicide at his Mumbai home last year.
Salve argued that the single judge has misdirected, misapplied and misinterpreted law laid down by the Supreme Court in Puttaswamy case (Right to Privacy).
At the outset, the counsel appearing for the director of the movie told the court that the film has been released on the OTT platform named Lapalap original as scheduled.
Salve, however, said: This is some obscure platform and only god knows what kind of website is this.
He said the movie is going to infringe upon the right to privacy and the right to a fair trial and with each passing day, it is causing damage to the reputation of the actor.
“The film is trying to portray his life. What exactly happened to him is still under investigation. You cannot jump the gun,” Salve said.
The high court had earlier sought to know whether ‘Nyay: The Justice’, purportedly based on Rajput’s life, has been released as scheduled on June 11 after both the director of the film and the actor’s father gave contradictory statements on the aspect.
The single judge had on June 10, refused to stay the release of several movies, including ‘Nyay: The Justice’, saying these films are neither portrayed as biopic nor factual narration of what transpired in his life.
“Posthumous privacy right is not permissible”, it had said in its interim order on a plea by Rajput’s father to restrain such films.
The single judge had earlier said it found merit in the submissions of producers and directors that if information of events which have occurred is already in the public domain, one cannot plead any violation of right to privacy on a movie inspired from such events.
Some of the upcoming or proposed movie projects based on his son’s life include, ‘Suicide or Murder: A star was lost’, ‘Shashank’ and an unnamed crowd-funded film.
The court had directed the filmmakers to render complete accounts of the revenue earned from the films, if any case of damages is made out in future and listed the suit for completion of pleading before the joint registrar.
It had said the producers and directors claimed the films to be fictional rendition of true events surrounding the lives of film/TV personalities, including Rajput who was found dead at his home in Mumbai. The investigation is still on.
The had court said it did not find merit in the plaintiff’s contention to restraint on the strength of his right to fair trial relating to the unnatural death of his son, saying no foundation is set up to demonstrate how the films would impair the trial.
It had termed as misconceived plea that the content of the film is defamatory and will damage his and his son’s reputation.
The suit has claimed that in case a “movie, web-series, book or any other content of similar nature is allowed to be published or broadcasted, it would affect the right of the victim and deceased for a free and fair trial as it may cause prejudice to them”.
It has also contended that Rajput being a well-known celebrity, “any misuse of his name/ image/ caricature/ style of delivering dialogues also amounts to infringement of the personality right vested with the plaintiff besides amounting to acts of passing off”.
The contentions of Rajput’s father have been opposed by the filmmakers of the upcoming and proposed movies.
US woman’s bhangra performance wins hearts. Watch video
A US lady has left netizens stunned with her bhangra dance. The lady is seen killing the bhangra moves in a video shared on Instagram.
In the video, she is seen performing bhangra in her kitchen wearing a T-shirt and yoga pants. She effortlessly performs to the melody “Chidi Blauri”, sung by Mannat Noor and Ammy Virk, from 2018 film Laung Laachi. Happily, she grooves energetically, winning the hearts of netizens.
“Something delayed for now,” Omala, the Instagrammer captioned the post. The video has earned more than 1.2 million hits on Instagram.
One of her social media follower commented, “hell yes, you had the swag and attitude and perfectly done steps to traditional Bhangra! Whoot whoot.” Another client remarked, “What aa dance ????? amazing ?.”
View this post on Instagram
Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor’s wedding: Couple’s big day is finally here, the couple is set to tie the knot today
Finally, Ranbir and Alia are to tie the knot today. Ranbir Kapoor’s whole family is excited about it. Yesterday, the Yeh Jawani hai Deewani star held Mehendi and Haldi ceremonies at his Pali Hill residence Vastu. Apart from his family members, several other stars such as Karan Johar, etc were present at the rituals. Neetu Kapoor and Riddhima Kapoor have already confirmed with the paparazzi that Alia and Ranbir are tying the knot today i.e 14th April, some reports however suggest that the muhurat of Ranbir Kapoor-Alia Bhatt wedding is at 3:30 pm. In a recent interview, Shakti Kapoor said that Rishi Kapoor wanted to see Ranbir-Alia’s wedding with his own eyes and he is glad that Ranbir didn’t delay the wedding anymore.
Kareena Kapoor, Amrita Arora confirm testing COVID-19 positive in official statements
Actors Kareena Kapoor Khan and Amrita Arora shared official statements on Monday confirming that they have tested positive for COVID-19.
The ‘3 Idiots’ actor took to her Instagram handle and shared a story in which she wrote, “I have tested for positive for COVID. I immediately isolated myself while following all medical protocols. I request anyone who has come in contact with me to please get tested.”
Kareena further continued, “My family and staff are also double vaccinated. They are currently not showing any symptoms. Thankfully, I am feeling ok and hope to be up and about soon.”
Amrita too shared her statement on Insta Stories and wrote, “I have tested positive for COVID. I am following all the medical guidelines and BMC rules.
Anyone who has been in contact with me, please get tested. My family and staff are all fully vaccinated and have all tested negative. Stay safe, stay Responsible.”
Meanwhile, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has revealed that the residence of Kareena has been sealed. They also said that “she has not given proper information yet but our officers are trying to find out that how many people did come in contact with her.”
It was reported earlier today that the duo had been attending several parties recently and hence might be super-spreaders of the deadly virus.
BMC had also instructed the people who came in contact with either Kareena or Amrita, to undergo an RT-PCR test.
Earlier in the day, Kareena’s official spokesperson in a statement had told that both Kareena and Amrita had contracted COVID-19 at an “intimate dinner where a few friends had gathered to catch up.”
Almost a week ago, Kareena and Amrita had attended a fun get-together hosted at the Mumbai residence of Anil Kapoor’s daughter Rhea Kapoor. (ANI)
Enter your email address to get latest updates